Monday, April 4, 2016

American Lit Students Tell It Slant



As part of American Literature class, the 9th and 10th grade students wrote poems in the style of Emily Dickinson. Here are a few to enjoy:

If love is Death, then death I want--
To see Him over there
I’ll look to death to make me free--
But He will never care

If love is Death, then death I’ve had--
And He rejected me
And from my grave within I rise--
Inside­ I always bleed

If love is Death, then let me die--
For love is all I need
But should he turn his heart away
Love be the death of me
--by Shoshana Silbermann 


A shot rang loud and clear. 
A scream rose from on high.
Please help­--please help--the voice called out,
I do not wish to die.

The Wind came rushing past,
Like waves upon the shore,
To comfort him­ put him to ease
So he would fear no more.

The Breeze made him serene--
He lay barely awake.
She held him close­ she kept him safe--
A mother’s warm embrace.

The end of life draws near,
The Wind patiently waits.
A gentle Gust­-- his eyes now close--
A smile upon his face.
--By Chaya Klein


The Wind threw me onto the ground--
When I was growing old--
I fell afar, away from Home--
Into a brand new World

 The Tree now stood above my head--
And would not let me be--
With its unkind and joyous laugh--
As one boy raked the Leaves
--by Yisrael Wiener


No comments:

Post a Comment